In today’s fast world, it has become very essential to stay healthy and in shape(Bariatric surgery sleeve gastrectomy for weight loss). Moreover, the good appearance and attractive personality is a dream everyone wants to achieve. But the problem of obesity is a curse on human being nowadays.
Obesity means having too much body fat which is different than being overweight. It means that a person’s weight is much more than what is considered to be healthy according to his height. Obesity increases the risk of diabetes and heart diseases.
Today, many types of weight-loss surgeries are done that changes digestive system and limit the appetite. These surgeries are known as Bariatric surgery sleeve gastrectomy for weight loss. Still, they can pose serious risks and side effects. This surgery should be done only if the body mass index (BMI) is more than 40. (BMI is the measure of height in relation to weight.) It is suggested for the type 2 diabetes and heart patients.
How bariatric procedures promote weight loss:
Bariatric surgery restricts the amount of food we eat that leads to weight loss. These surgeries are advisable only after patient has tried serious diet and not lose weight. But once a patient decides to go for this surgery, must commit to healthy eating, regular exercise and take vitamin supplements.
Who can go for bariatric procedure?
- An adult having severe obesity problem (BMI>40).
- Health problems like type 2 diabetes and heart problems.
- A person suffering from severe sleep apneai.e.breathing stops for a short period of time while sleeping.
- It is advisable to go for a surgery only after a person has tried to lose weight for at least 6 months and not succeed.
- One has to be mentally prepared for the lifestyle changes.
- Awareness of the side effects is essential before opting it.
Bariatric surgery procedures:
In today’s world most of weight loss surgeries are laparoscopic surgeries. There are four types of bariatric surgery which have their own advantages and disadvantages. They are gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, flexible gastric band and bilopancreatic distraction.
The small stomach pouch which is about one ounce in volume is made by separating upper stomach from rest of it. Then first part of the small intestine is divided and the bottom end of the separated small intestine is brought up. Then it is joined to new small stomach pouch. Then the top portion which is divided from small intestine is connected to small intestine. This is done to mix stomach acids and ingestion enzymes from the bypassed abdomen and primary fraction of small intestine. The newly made pouch is comparatively smaller in size and that’s why facilitates smaller meals. So, smaller amount of calories and nutrients are absorbed.
- Automatically restricts the food consumption.
- The gut hormones are affected which reduce appetite and enhance satiety.
- More than 60% weight loss is produced and maintained also.
- This procedure reverses a primary mechanism by which obesity induces diabetes.
- One has to stay in hospital for longer period in compare to other procedures.
- This surgery is quite complicated.
- It can cause long term vitamin B12, iron and calcium deficiency.
- Life- long vitamin and mineral supplements has to be taken.
Adjustable gastric band:
As the name suggests, there is a band which is placed around the upper part of the stomach pouch. So stomach pouch is divided into two parts. It is easy to understand that with this eating a small amount of food will satisfy hunger. The size of the opening the upper and the remaining pouch decides the feeling of fullness. This size can be adjusted by sterile saline that is injected through a port. This band leads to reduce hunger that helps the person to reduce the amount of calories consumed.
- There is no cutting of the stomach or intestines.
- The food is digested as it would be normally done.
- About 50% excess weight losses are achieved.
- The patient is discharged on the same day the operation is done.
- There is no malabsorption.
- The risk of deficiency of vitamins is minimal.
- It requires foreign band to stay in the stomach.
- This procedure has the maximum rate of re-operation.
- Comparatively lesser weight loss than other types of operations.
- There is a possibility of slipping or erosion of band.
- There are also chances of problems in the port or tube injected.
Bariatric surgery sleeve gastrectomy for weight loss:
In this method, approximately three fourth of the stomach is removed. The remaining stomach pouch is tubular shaped. This newly made pouch can hold lesser amount of food that can be consumed. This surgery is as effective as gastric bypass and has no gut hormones affecting hunger and blood sugar. It is helpful in recovering type2 diabetes.
- The amount of food consumption of stomach can be restricted.
- The patient has to stay about two days in a hospital.
- The gut hormones are affected positively to reduce hunger and improve satiety.
- More than 50% of weight loss can be achieved and maintained for 4 to 5 years.
- In this procedure no foreign objects are required.
- This surgery can cause long term deficiencies of vitamins and nutrients.
- Sometimes this can be proved complicated.
- This method is non-reversible.
Biliopancreatic distraction along with duodenal switch gastric bypass:
The BPD/DS is a process in which there are divided in to two parts. A small pouch of stomach is made by removing a portion of a stomach. Then a bypass is done of a large portion of the small intestine. The primary part of the little intestine is separated just previous the outlet of the abdomen. Then last section of the little intestine is joined to the outlet of recently made abdomen. Thus the food taken goes in new stomach portion and then directly into the last portion. The flow of the food bypasses 70% of the small intestine. The bile and pancreatic enzymes which are essential for absorption of fat and protein are in the small intestine which is bypassed. To allow them to mix with the food stream, they are reconnected to the last portion of the food stream. Like other procedures, this procedure also affects guts hormones which affect hunger, satiety and blood sugar.
- This surgery is most effective for diabetes treatment.
- Three fourth of fat is absorbed.
- The gut hormones are changed in a favourable condition that reduces appetite.
- Up to 70% of the weight loss can be achieved.
- A patient can eat about normal food intakes.
- The higher level of risk and complications are here.
- It can cause number of vitamins and proteins deficiency.
- The patient has to stay for a longer period in a hospital after surgery.
- Post operation care and follow up visits are necessary to avoid protein and vitamins deficiency.
However, choosing the appropriate Bariatric surgery sleeve gastrectomy for weight loss is difficult. This decision is based on the habits, life style and risk aversion. Dietary history, risk factor, ability to do regular exercise and to attend a regular follow-up are some factors that helps you decide choosing right type of surgery for you.
The studies show that these procedures cause long term weight loss, diabetes recovery and improvement in cardiovascular risks. Still all type of procedures can cause serious problems and side effects. So it is advisable to avoid surgeries if possible and try first for ayurvedic treatments and home remedies.
Ayurvedic herbs – which is useful for weight loss
Ayurvedic herbs are very useful for reducing weight and burning fat. It smoothens the metabolism even in old age that leads to lose weight. These herbs help managing obesity and overcoming weight loss. Some of the herbs are black tea, black coffee, aloe Vera, goggle, barmy etc.
Home remedies for obesity:
- Acquire one glass of unenthusiastic water, lemon juice (4tsp) and honey (1tsp). Each morning use this mixture drain stomach.
- Also add in your routine that drink a mix of black pepper (1tsp), lemon juice (1tsp) and lukewarm water (1glass) evach morning.
- Cinnamon powder taken with honey empty stomach in the morning and before going to bed.
Bariatric surgery sleeve gastrectomy for weight loss has their own benefits and set backs but looking forward to some ancient alternative ways for weight loss. consult your physician before to take any decision regarding Bariatric surgery sleeve gastrectomy for weight loss.be in touch for more good articles.
Even if you interested: Natural home remedy for migraine-Ayurveda treatment click here…